Insurance FAQs


Independent Mutual Fire Insurance Company Annual Policyholder Meeting

The annual policyholder meeting is held the first Monday in May at our Chicago, IL statutory home office.  For additional details regarding the meeting please call us at (800) 248-7072.

Do I need to protect my Personal Property?

You should protect your possessions regardless of whether insurance coverage is required by your landlord. Your landlord or your current homeowners policy may not cover damage or loss of your possessions in the case of a fire or other perils covered by an Independent Mutual Fire Policy. Having personal property insurance coverage protects your belongings in the event of a fire or other covered perils and gives you peace of mind knowing your possessions are insured from loss.

What perils are covered under a Personal Property Policy?

The following perils may be covered under your Personal Property Policy. *Policy restrictions apply.

  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Smoke Damage
  • Windstorm
  • Explosion

What other items does my Personal Property Insurance cover?

Other items that may be included in your Personal Property Insurance:

  • Debris Removal – Coverage includes up to 10% of the covered loss for expenses incurred for debris removal needed as a result of a covered loss.
  • World-Wide Coverage – Coverage includes up to 10% of the limit of liability for covered losses to your personal property anywhere in the world.
  • Property Removed – Coverage includes payment for direct loss from perils insured if your covered personal property is damaged while being removed from the premises because of a fire or other covered perils.
  • Collapse – Coverage includes damage to property resulting from a building collapse caused by certain perils.
  • Temporary Repairs – Coverage includes temporary repairs that are necessary to protect covered property from further damage.

How much coverage do I need?

The amount of coverage you need depends on the items in your home. An experienced, licensed agent will be able to help determine the appropriate amount of coverage by completing an assessment of the items in your home.

What do I need to consider when choosing coverage?

Items in your home to consider when choosing coverage would be any and all furniture, electronic devices, appliances, clothing, dishes, etc. To determine your coverage, go room by room in your residence and make an inventory list that includes all items, the year purchased, and the original cost if available. It is very important to keep track of your household items should a fire or other covered peril occur.

Additional Products Available

What is the Personal Liability Endorsement?

Personal Liability protection helps cover you against a lawsuit or medical expenses if an incident (such as falling) occurs in your residence to an individual that does not reside there. No deductible applies. *Policy restrictions apply.

What is the Food Spoilage Endorsement?

Food Spoilage protection coverage can provide coverage for loss due to spoilage of perishable foods caused by an electrical power interruption. No deductible applies. *Policy restrictions apply.

What is the Burglary Endorsement?

Burglary protection coverage helps cover expenses from stolen personal property from your residence if you are a victim of a burglary. Deductible of $200 applies. *Policy restrictions apply.

What is the Emergency Expense Benefit Endorsement?

Emergency Expense Benefit protection helps pay for temporary increased expenses, such as the cost of replacing or repairing the items in your home due to a covered loss. No deductible applies. *Policy restrictions apply.

What is the Jewelry, Firearms, & Furs Increase Limit Endorsement?

Jewelry, Firearms, and Furs protection can provide coverage to help protect your valuables due to a covered loss. No deductible applies. *Policy restrictions apply.


*Not all additional coverages are available in all states